.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

in the hoosegow

Wednesday, November 02, 2005

wild night at the library

I worked the evening shift last night at yee old reference desk and the following odd things happened:

1. We had to stop a patron from stealing all of the thumbtacks on the message board. She swore she'd bring them back and couldn't believe we wouldn't let her take them. I felt like an old school marm when I held out my hand for her to drop the tacks into.

2. A patron came up to tell us that a man had stolen her backpack. He had walked away before she noticed and when she yelled at him he dropped it. We called the campus police and four (4!) officers arrived promptly. It's theft season, students. Do NOT leave your stuff laying around when you go to the bathroom or out for a smoke.

3. A maintenance guy came up to ask where stairwell 10 was because someone had reported water on the floor and since we'd just had a hard rain they suspected a leak. We didn't know so he called the dispatcher who directed him to the correct location. He came back a few minutes later to tell us that it was not water but in fact someone had peed on the floor.

2 Comments:

At 11:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, how I love night reference shifts.

 
At 8:28 AM, Blogger Jane said...

How come you get to have all the fun? My night shift this week only involved me reading my book. Damn!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home