.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

in the hoosegow

Wednesday, October 26, 2005

my job is dangerous

Two vaguely interesting things happened to me in the last 24 hours. First, I was folding up the cart we used to drag stuff from the library around campus for classes, resource fairs, etc. I was folding up the last piece, not paying attention, and smashed my right index finger. I can move it and everything so it's probably not broken, but it's still a bit swelled up, it's partially numb and it hurts to type this. This morning I had to walk down to the farmer's market to see if my colleague could buy a bunch of pumpkins with our purchasing card or if she needed cash. I strongly suspected that cash would be king because most of the vendors don't have phone lines for credit cards. I walked around, trying to figure out which vendor she'd talked to, and picked out two possibles. The first told me that they sell pumpkins by the palate (is that the right spelling? anyway, you know what I mean) which according to his estimation holds about 60 pumpkins. That's at least twice as many as we need but I had some fun imagining all of the things we could do with 30 extra pumpkins! I walked over to the other guy to see if his price was radically different and/or he took credit cards but his answer was a smile and "no english." I asked if any of the guys helping him unload watermelons spoke english but all the response I got was a derisive wave toward the store (which has the worst prices but does take credit cards). And now I'm at work trying to figure out if I have to use the campus catering services to buy alcohol to serve on campus. Will the fun never end?

1 Comments:

At 2:39 PM, Blogger jillbertini said...

Sorry to hear about your finger. Ouch! :(

I believe it's spelled pallet. :D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home