.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

in the hoosegow

Friday, May 19, 2006

byebye onion

I took a big step (for me) today. I deleted my personals account. A little background: I opened that account in 2002 when my friend I were bored at the library. I was getting ready to move from Seattle to H-town so I wasn't exactly looking for a relationship. I forgot about the ad completely until long after I'd moved here and a guy from Seattle responded. He was, he said, the Asian Steve Buschemi. By that time I was seeing someone (albeit in the PNW) but it started me looking at the personals again and I updated my profile to show that I was now in the south east. I met my interim BF through that ad and also one of my best gal pals (she was checking out the "competition").

The problem, I think, with me and online personals is that I am best when in motion. I don't translate well into photos and other two-dimensional forms. My sense of humor is mostly based on making jokes out of what other people have said or seeing the oddness in a situation. You can see how that might not translate.

Also, like my friend, I am not really interested in half-assed relationships or things that look like relationships and smell like them but really are sad hollow facades. As many folks have said to me over the past week (and thank you for repeatedly telling me this--I needed to hear it), I deserve more. So, if I had a motto, it would be to accept no substitutes. I'm willing to wait.

4 Comments:

At 9:04 AM, Blogger Jane said...

Do not even accept Splenda instead of sugar. Do NOT!

 
At 9:39 AM, Blogger Pixie the dog said...

dang it, I like splenda.

 
At 11:21 AM, Blogger jillbertini said...

It only took us 7 years to find the couch of our dreams. Waiting was the right thing.

 
At 11:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Couch? Youse bought a couch?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home