.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

in the hoosegow

Monday, August 15, 2005

in my head

...I win awards, people tell me I do a good job and that they appreciate what I do, other people who do a good job also get told they're super, and I live in Italy and get 42 days off per year.

In reality, I saw Grizzly Man this weekend. It's Werner Herzog's latest documentary about Tim Treadwell, the fellow who spent ten summers or so living in Alaska with grizzly bears, finally meeting his match in a tussle with a hungry autumn bear. And by tussle I mean a bone crunching chomp fest that left behind his wrist watch and an audiotape of the event. There are many reasons I don't feel sorry for the guy, which I'm happy to discuss over a beer, and Herzog does a great job of placing together Tim's own footage with his. He built a portrait of a troubled man who met a tragic end, and yet the film isn't morbid or sad and is in places quite humorous and approaching poignant.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home