.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

in the hoosegow

Monday, October 17, 2005

sure i'll go drinking with you

Friday night I found myself at one of those bars where I feel completely out of place. All of the girls seem to be wearing some type of ho-top and tight jeans. They're blonde or brunette and madeup. I am wearing a t-shirt and plaid skirt and while I had makeup on, it's not that Texas all-over type of makeup. Still, I hung out with my friend and her friends while they played darts (I'm not allowed--I tend to hurt people) and we drank and listened to this crazy latino cover band. They did a great version of Sweet Home Alabama but some of their other songs were a little bizarre. Then I spilled my beer all over myself. I spilled probably half a beer or more and it soaked directly into my shirt and skirt and for the rest of the night I smelled like a boozer.

Most people would have gone home at that point, but of course I had ridden with someone and I didn't want to ruin everyone's good time so I stayed out with them until closing time.

It really made me remember just how important going to a cozy place is to me. I have a few regular spots where I can slink in, grab a beer and not feel at all out of place, but I tend to take them for granted or forget why I like them so much until I go to the opposite sort of establishment. So thank you, crazy pickup bar.

3 Comments:

At 9:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's nothing more likely to make me feel old and boring than going to a bar in a town overwhelmed with college students.

But a nice pub, with darts and decent music and something tasty on tap, and I can have a mighty fine time.

If only there were such a place in my wee small town...

 
At 9:49 AM, Blogger Pixie the dog said...

You will have to come visit us in H-town. One of our fave hangouts has darts and good beer and is nice and pub-y.

 
At 3:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll 2nd Jenica's comments! Luckily our town(s) is large enough to have a few of the right sort of pub.

And, Ranger, if you felt comfortable in that bar I wouldn't be making this comment here.

Of course, pouring beer on yourself was another way of trying to fit in maybe? ;->

 

Post a Comment

<< Home