.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

in the hoosegow

Thursday, November 10, 2005

objects

I'm attending a dinner tonight and was asked to bring something that is important to me. I looked all around my house and office and saw many treasured objects that for one reason or another are meaningful, but there was no One Thing that I could put my hands on. I have my grandmother's candy dish which is a reminder of my grandparents and the candy (often peanut M&Ms) I'd find there, I have photographs of family and friends, I have momentos from the Jimmy Carter Library & Museum, cups and rocks and medals from various events and accomplishments, but I found that I could not pick any single object. I think part of the problem is what my mom calls my zen attitude toward "stuff": I gather it and I like to have it around but I can easily let it go. People (and pets) are way more valuable. And since I can't bring Annika, I may go to the dinner empty-handed, but full.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home