.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

in the hoosegow

Thursday, July 06, 2006

getting older

One of the weirdest things about aging is the change in perception of time. Children experience every second. An hour lasts forever, especially if they are expected to sit still. Summer vacation stretched on for miles (I have an odd habit of imagining the year as a big circle...) and Christmas Eve night passed about as quickly as a turtle with gum stuck to its feet.

These days, the years seem to speed past. Just the other day I was squeezing into my bridesmaid's dress for my sister's wedding, but now my oldest nephew is 5 1/2 and starting school in the fall.

I can't wait until I'm really old and I go to put down a glass only to realize the table has turned to dust.

5 Comments:

At 10:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is beautiful. I will quote you freely.

We just got back from a couple of weeks in England spent mostly wandering around Yorkshire. It was soooo fucking cool.

 
At 9:57 AM, Blogger Pixie the dog said...

Thanks, Trent. You're sweet. Glad you and your lovely wife had a good vacation. Let me tell you I am so looking forward to Costa Rica next month. First real vacation in 4 years!

 
At 10:53 AM, Blogger jillbertini said...

I love it! Although it kind of reminds me of The Time Traveler's Wife.

You are going to Costa Rica? Have a GREAT time! Did I tell you we are going to the Galapagos in January?

 
At 3:40 PM, Blogger Pixie the dog said...

Galapagos? I hate you! Not really, but I am jealous.

BTW, I haven't read the time travelers wife so there's no way I stole it.

 
At 12:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Costa Rica is going to be waaaay fun. You go to pretty cool places. We typically bounce around the idea of going somewhere like Vietnam (my pick for innarestin vacationage) or Peru (Melinda's), but then we tend to fall back to places like England or Holland, where traveling takes little mental energy and you can just c.t.f.o. One day, though, I sense Machu Picchu is a-comin' our way

 

Post a Comment

<< Home