.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

in the hoosegow

Thursday, June 29, 2006

spoiling my children

I saw the Godfather for the first time last night. So many of the scenes have been repeated or spoofed in other films and tv shows that a great deal of it seemed familiar. I enjoyed seeing so many actors who are now getting old when they were fresh-faced: Al Pacino, James Caan, Robert Duvall, Diane Keaton, Talia Shire (except that she spent most of the film with gigantic circles under her eyes...).

I used to imagine what it would be like to get involved with the mob and then try to "go straight" and it always seemed romantic and exciting. Now it seems like any other business but with some extra violence thrown in.

I like how creative people can be, even when their medium is threats and torture. There's a cartoon called Pepper Ann and in one episode PA has a lawn-cutting business. Another guys tries to compete with her, only to find a topiary giraffe's head in his bed. What is more terrifying than that? What is the equivalent in the li-berry world? A smashed computer, a shredded book? Perhaps I should be glad that my chosen workplace may occasionally be hit by stink bombs but is less prone to actual violence.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home