.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

in the hoosegow

Tuesday, January 09, 2007

cracklins and curry

A colleague and I had an interesting conversation this afternoon about interracial dating. Really the conversation centered on other folks' reactions to mixed race couples. Whenever I'm out and about with my dude friends and I notice the looks we get, and they're not in the "Oh, look at the cute couple" category. Just last week I was walking out of an ice cream shop with an Indian pal. We passed an Indian family. In the car I mentioned how the dad had looked disapprovingly at us and he said, "oh, we were getting it the whole time from the women." I find this so sad! First of all, I should be able to date whomever I want. Second, and this is admittedly less important, I should be able to hang out with my guy friends without everyone assuming I'm on a date. My colleague mentioned the less than stellar service she's received when on a date with a guy of a different race. I haven't noticed that at all here in H-town but I'm usually with someone of a different race, so maybe my point of comparison is off.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home