.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

in the hoosegow

Wednesday, April 09, 2008

a peek

I've spent a fair amount of time this week in a vet's office, with more to come. Our dog Mitzi was breathing shallowly and looking glassy eyed on Sunday night so the PIG took her to the emergency vet. We followed up with a visit to the regular vet in the morning. She has a mass near her heart and pneumonia. The doctor is optimistic and believes she is suffering from an allergy. She is doing better but the order to keep her inactive is nearly impossible as no matter how small a space she's in she paces and follows us around. So that was Monday. The next morning I awoke to the PIG saying, "honey, the cat's not doing so well." Annika was all puffed up and lethargic, meowing when we tried to pick her up. We took her to her normal vet clinic which wasn't open yet so we went on to the vet where we took Mitzi on Monday. The doctor was very confused when he saw her. What I'd taken for edema (swelling caused by fluid) was actually air pockets. You can hear them crackle when you touch her skin. Cause: inconclusive but very probably caused by a piercing of the trachea when she had her teeth cleaned last Friday. Treatment: head scratching followed by lots of antibiotics, rest and observation. Currently she is moving around, eating, but still pockety. I'm calling her things like the Puffy Princess, Queen Crackle, etc.

Tomorrow both girls go back for a recheck and we will decide further treatment (or not) from there.

Last night when I went to bed I felt sooooo bad that I had, in a way, caused my kitty's distress and that I couldn't help her feel better. I woke up at 3am to pee and was ecstatic when she got up, ate some food and used her litter box. Currently she's sleeping in the closet. Mitzi is waiting for the PIG to get home so she can follow him around.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home