.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

in the hoosegow

Saturday, October 18, 2008

hard stuff

Those of you who know me in person are most likely well aware of a particular oddity about me. I will often accept social invitations and then back out at the last minute. I'm not sure why I do this and perhaps there are several reasons, but it's something that is embarrassing but I often feel I have little control over.

Having a very social husband is making that, oh let's call it a habit, more and more difficult to maintain. It is getting me into trouble and causing strife.

The PIG told me that it isn't something I can do. I have to fulfill my social obligations whether I want to or not. This was conveyed in a loving and helpful manner, but it was nevertheless difficult to hear. I thought about it all day yesterday. I decided he was right.

So even on those days when I am feeling that no one loves me and you've invited my husband and I am merely his accessory (man purse!), I will be there. I might be teary and cranky beforehand, but I will do my best to be pleasant.

That's about all I can promise.

5 Comments:

At 12:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

For what it's worth, I've never noticed this about you. Maybe because we've usually invited neither you nor your husband, but rather your dog(s)?

(And expect an invitation from us soon--last out-of-town guests for a while are here this weekend, then we'll be ready to entertain the local folks.)

 
At 10:34 AM, Blogger Dumpling-girl said...

I have no excuse for being so out of touch, especially since you are a faithful blogger. Hurricane?? Husband?? Wow. Hope all is going well. And belated congrats. And I too have the same party-backing-out-of habit. And my new man (as in first few infatuated weeks new) and I were just talking about this the other day - he made the point that it's better for everyone all around if he's not at someone else's party when he's not up for it. So don't think of it as selfish. :)

 
At 3:09 PM, Blogger Pixie the dog said...

Thanks for saying that, DG. Apparently when you're married you suddenly become part of something more than yourself, sort of like the fizz when you mix vinegar and baking soda...

 
At 12:02 PM, Blogger Choice said...

FWIW, I have been known to do the same thing. Don't know why exactly... maybe a party, or an event, or a gathering (whatever) sounded like a good idea (or even fun) at the time it was proposed... but once the time to get ready rolls around, I practically dig in my heels and come up with a litany of excuses why I don't want to go. Usually I go anyway and make myself have a pleasant enough time, so I don't know what's up with that, but I am aware that something is going on... so I feel your discomfort. Good luck.

 
At 1:20 PM, Blogger Jane said...

Making us act like the better person we can be is something a good husband does... even if we do not always like it. Good for you both.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home