.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

in the hoosegow

Wednesday, December 03, 2008

radio

I rarely listen to npr, but my husband does. He likes to listen to it at full blast while he's taking a shower. This morning, I heard a story that made me gasp and feel quite sad: Odetta passed away yesterday.

I remember Black History Month several years ago. I'd set up a cool display that anyone could add to, by writing their favorite African American artist, writer, dancer, etc. on an index card and sticking it to the board. Someone put up a notice for a free concert featuring Odetta.

I could NOT wait.

Finally the day came and I was shocked that the place was not mobbed. Surely others had grown up listening to one of the coolest humorous folk singers of the day! Despite the lack of a crowd, we enjoyed the h*ll out of that show and I felt fulfilled and sad when it ended.

I know she had a full life, but for me it was not long enough. I'm sad you're dead, Odetta, my Sea Lion Woman.

2 Comments:

At 6:30 AM, Blogger Kim Ranger said...

There's a good obit in yesterday's NY Times: "Odetta, Voice of Civil Rights Movement, Dies at 77" By TIM WEINER. December 3, 2008. Here's the permalink:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/03/arts/music/03odetta.html?partner=permalink&exprod=permalink

Be sure to listen to the interview (it's long so do something else too if you get bored, like looking at email).

 
At 7:27 AM, Blogger Adela c/s said...

Feb. 10, 2005. I was there with you! I posted a great interview w/her on my blog yesterday. BTW I used to love listening to NPR while taking a shower too, until my shower radio broke.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home