.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

in the hoosegow

Wednesday, July 14, 2004

think for a minute, stop for a minute

I've been thinking lately about getting a new kitty. My last one got sick and couldn't breathe or eat so I had him put to sleep. Now I've gotten used to having the place to myself, not buying catfood or litter or scooping said litter. It is sort of lonely, though, coming home to a completely empty house.

My (ex) bf and I had come up with a name for our theoretical kitty ("I'm a kitty, I'm a kitty. Well, I'm not really a kitty. I just like to represent myself as one..."): ennui. More recently: umlaut. I usually name my pets after someone I especially admire, though. My first cat was named Gabe after Peter Gabriel, and the second one was Stewie, after Jimmy Stewart. One of my longtime heroes is Jimmy Carter, but an old boyfriend had a cat named Carter, after his roommate (there's a funny story that goes with that...) so that's out. One of my library heroes is Ranganathan, but what a moniker for a little beastie. Besides, I want to get a girl kitty this time.

Maybe I'm destined to be pet-less for a while longer. Maybe I should give my outdoor pet Lizzie a more individualized name. I could name him John Redcorn because he always gives me the red-throated high five whenever we meet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home