.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

in the hoosegow

Tuesday, July 06, 2004

no carbs=death

Sorry that blogger is f*ing up today--you may see two versions of my earlier post but I've actually deleted one so it should eventually disappear. Anyway, that's merely an extra added twist to my overly complicated life...

My point: this weekend I tried to do the extreme carb and sugar elimination diet that is also the beginning of southbeach. I'm not trying to lose weight, but trying to get my body used to eating less sugar for a variety of health reasons. I'm a major sugar junky. I can't prove I was born that way, but I have vague memories of asking mom to sprinkle some powdered sugar on the teet.

Anyhoo, if you're still reading after that disturbing image, for two days this weekend I ate only cheese, nuts, eggs, fish and vegetables. By the end of the first day I felt awful. My gut hurt, I was nauseated and sweating and things were generally not working the way they are supposed to. By the afternoon of the second day, I made an emergency phone call to someone who had done a similar elimination kind of diet. "Is it normal to feel like shit?" I asked, heart racing. "Isn't it crazy how addicted to sugar we get?" she chirped, in response. By the end of the conversation I was convinced: my body needed carbs, STAT.

About an hour after eating a mission burrito in a bowl and downing a regular coke, I felt much better. In fact, about 15 minutes after starting, I looked up and realized all of the colors around me were brighter. My conclusions are this: I still need to cut down on my sugar intake, but this wacked out "diet" is not the way to do it. I will try adding rice (brown, I swear) and some fruit and see if that keeps me from wanting to die during the process. In another week I may have new results.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home