.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

in the hoosegow

Tuesday, October 05, 2004

elevator shoes

I used to love teaching kids because it made me feel tall. The only time I get to feel anything but mutantly short is when I'm in China or amongst children under the age of 12. I went to my friend's school today to volunteer. I met with two 5th grade girls to help with their Day of the Dead projects. One is a latina, so she's doing an ofrenda featuring her great grandmother. The other is African American and apparently her mom is a little out of her element with the whole ofrenda idea. They've come up with some cool ideas, though, and I can't wait to see the elements of their presentations in a few days.

The scariest thing that happened was that while I was filling out the (extensive, exhaustive almost) volunteer form in the office, someone came up to me and said, "Oh, you must be our sub!" Gulp. Hell no! I then had a whole hilarious comedy starring Joan Cusak (because really, who else is funny enough to play me?) in my head, where she goes to a school for something or other and ends up being mistaken for a substitute teacher and hilary ensues. Then I remembered that that had already been done in School of Rock so I just said, "No, and don't scare me like that!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home