.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

in the hoosegow

Tuesday, July 12, 2005

whities move in

I live in a mainly hispanic neighborhood and so the local park is usually full of, you guessed it, my hispanic neighbors. In the mornings when I go to run or walk (or huff and puff), I usually see this one tall white dude and several hispanic ladies and often a group of dudes all getting their exercise. I've noticed lately that there's been an influx of whities. It makes me feel weird. White and brown people are different in parks, at least in my experience. We move at different paces, we do different activities. Heck, when's the last time you spent the day at the park with your entire extended family or went to watch somebody's baseball game in 95 degree weather? I thought so!

Anyway, I've liked being in the minority, feeling like for once I was the one adding a little variety and spice to the mix. Now I'm back to grunting at the other pasty joggers instead of trying to coax a shy smile out of senioritas.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home