.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

in the hoosegow

Monday, February 12, 2007

old timey

I finally watched The Illusionist yesterday. I'd netflixed it a while back and it'd been sitting on top of my tv for a few weeks. I will watch almost anything with Edward Norton so it was a given I'd see it, but I was surprised to see Jessica Biel hold her own. Her role was certainly a step up from that baseball movie. I'd like to say that the ending was a surprise, but it really wasn't. I almost always spot that sort of plot a mile away. That didn't prevent my enjoying it, though. The thing that struck me as odd was the way Eisenheim's character remained almost completely undeveloped. He gives a little bit of insight into himself during his conversation with Sophie (as an adult) but otherwise he remains a true man of mystery. What I especially liked was the framing of the film. I don't mean that in the sense of the storyline, but I am referring to the way they made the film look like an old picture or postcard.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home