.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

in the hoosegow

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

mail

How do you all feel about letters? I remember fondly the months I spent in Montana, Scotland and West Virginia during my college years, not only because the trips were adventures, I met cool people and mountains and seas are amazing, but because of the letters I received. One of my high school friends said she would save all of my letters to her because one day I'd be famous and she'd sell them or add them to a book of my correspondence. In the mid to late 90s though, something happened. Email. I've barely written a letter for the last decade. The last of the great letter writers in my family died when I was in li-berry school. While walking back to my office from taco bell, I realized how much I miss letters. I miss writing them, sticking the envelopes shut with stickers, saving fun bits of paper to write on or to make into envelopes, but I also miss getting them. It's nice to see a familiar address in my inbox, but it's nothing compared to a fat epistle in the mailbox. I suggest that all of you should write a letter this week, to your fat old granny who will respond with yet another recipe for zucchini bread, to a cyber friend who would never expect a real live letter from you, to someone whose address still lives in your address book but you haven't heard from in a while.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home