.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

in the hoosegow

Thursday, June 15, 2006

sharing in

I'm so lucky. I am surrounded by people who are cool and fun and do interesting things. Since I'm not the only one who thinks they're interesting, many of my friends and colleagues get attention in various circles. That's been happening to me for a long time, which has at various times caused me to wonder if I am some kind of sycophant, fawner, hanger-on, or if I just have really good taste. One of my old pals is a fairly famous blogger, several are artists, others are merely excellent in their chosen professions. While I am delighted that they're successful and attempt to support them no matter where they choose to focus their smart brains, I sometimes feel a tiny bit jealous. Let's be honest: sometimes I feel very jealous. It's weird, though, because I don't want to be famous unless it's for some amazing scientific discovery. I think that my pea brain is just wired to be jealous--it's how I get motivated. It doesn't make me feel sorry for myself, but it makes me want to get off my butt and do something cool myself. So, friends out there, keep on being excellent for your own sake and know that you're influencing excellence in others.

3 Comments:

At 8:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen!

And you have neither a pea for a brain nor the brain of a pea!

 
At 12:53 PM, Blogger Pixie the dog said...

Oh, you think that now, but wait until (if?) you meet me in person. I look just like Zippy!

 
At 9:57 PM, Blogger katy said...

For the record, when you have short hair, you pretty much look exactly like Tintin.

Furthermore, was it Bill or Ted who said, "Be excellent to each other!"?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home