.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

in the hoosegow

Friday, July 23, 2004

dum dum da dum

Everything in the past 24 hours has been about marriage.  There's a big bridal hooha going on here at the convention center this weekend, all of the tv I watched last night somehow had weddings/marriage in the theme.  I'm so susceptible to that that I actually dreamt that my ex-bf and I were getting married. 

When I was little, my grandma made me and my sisters wedding dresses for our Barbies.  Each one was completely different.  I remember that mine had short sleeves and a long, wide ribbon down the back.  Of course my Barbie always married Big Josh, the short muscular dude, rather than that poncy Ken.  Our Ken had all of this fake facial hair that you could paste on in different formations.  It was a metrosexual's wet dream. 

I was very bitter about weddings as a child.  Both of my sisters had been the right age at the right time to be flower girls in my aunts' weddings.  They had cute velvety and satiny dresses, funny stories and the satisfaction of a job well done.  I had nothing.  When one of those aunts got married a second time, she didn't even ask me to be in the wedding--she had my younger cousin.  I was so hurt I wouldn't talk to her for a long time.  We did finally make up (I confessed why I was mad and she apologized) and she's still one of my good pals, but it really set me against the whole wedding thing for most of my life.  Only when I got old enough to have friends of my own jumping over the broom did I start to see the appeal--all of that attention, all of the gifts, picking out a fancy dress and making all of your friends dress up (haHA!).  I mean, it's not worth the money people spend or the ugly displays brides to be make, but getting friends and family together to make a spectacle is now rather appealing.  So maybe I should just save myself the headache of a groom, buy a sweet dress and throw a big party.  Sounds good, right?  You'd come, you know you would, and instead of tossing a bouquet, I'd gather the single guys together and toss out sexy undies with my phone number tied to them.

 

1 Comments:

At 2:26 PM, Blogger Pixie the dog said...

Now that's just gross. Ewwww!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home