.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

in the hoosegow

Wednesday, April 06, 2005

i'm a sinner

Saw Sin City last night with a group of pals. I really like seeing movies like that with a bunch of people so that we can discuss our impressions, what we enjoyed and hated, and of course share popcorn. I'm trying hard to cut down on my sodium consumption (blood pressure...rising...) so I didn't get any snacks. We did get some good talk in after the movie though, like how true to the novels the film was and how that made the dialogue rather stilted. I loved what they did with the color. In fact, I don't know the cinematic term for it but that's one of my favorite film color styles, with the silvery black and white infused with saturated color. I don't want to give any plot points away for anyone who's going to see the movie and hasn't read Miller's books so I'll just pass along my thumbs-up.

So I'm going away for a few days to hang with my sis and other colleagues at a conference. If I don't get a chance to blog from Minnesota, that'll be why.

5 Comments:

At 9:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Would you recommend the movie to someone who hasn't read the books? I wanted to see it after I saw the trailer, but now I wonder if it would make any sense.

 
At 9:36 AM, Blogger Pixie the dog said...

I hadn't read the books and I enjoyed it. There's a little backstory that might've been nice to know but the movie in itself does a good job of getting you up to speed. You might not like all of the violence though. It's extremely graphic. I've never seen as many decapitated heads in my life.

 
At 6:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hadn't read the books either, and I think I enjoyed it more than the people I saw it with who had read the books. It made sense to me.

Lisa

 
At 1:17 PM, Blogger Adela c/s said...

I saw it w/4 friends and we all... hated it. --Adela

 
At 6:19 PM, Blogger Pixie the dog said...

What didn't you like about it? My four friends and I all liked it, so there!

I would say if you're not into the graphic novel genre it might not be to your taste.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home