.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

in the hoosegow

Monday, June 06, 2005

culture me

There are times when all I do is watch television and read trashy novels. This is necessary for my psyche. My psyche also needs culture and when it asks for it, I try to give it something decent. This weekend we went to hear some poets at Helios. They've been getting together on Fridays and usually have open mic followed by featured poets upstairs. This Friday the event was downstairs, which was nicer in terms of space and created more of a feeling of community.

When it first started, the sound system was messed up (using the wrong microphone, apparently) so I moved away from the posse and sat right by the stage. I found it much easier to focus. Usually I'm trying to concentrate but I'm fidgety and thinking about laundry and sex and what drink to order next.

I can't give props to everyone because I don't remember their names, but I was blown away by a couple of the poets. Some are participating in storytelling event on June 11 (check the H-town press) and they'll be back at Helios on Sundays starting June 19. Believe me, having some spoken word thrown at you when you need it is good for what ails you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home