.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

in the hoosegow

Thursday, June 09, 2005

sad news

My mom called last night to tell me that my grandfather's cancer had recurred and since this is the third time, they won't do any more treatments on him. As one of my sissies said, we just have to wait until it spreads and kills him. Brutal but true. It does make you wonder why we treat our pets more humanely than ourselves. My grandparents have always enjoyed their lives to the fullest, so no moping around allowed. When he's gone, I'll have a screwdriver in his honor and probably drive around the nearest Elks club blasting my horn.

2 Comments:

At 8:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think your grandfather can have a decent quality of life before he dies. I agree that our culture does not provide a good death, and that is what is tragic. Bill Moyers talked about it a little bit when we went and heard him in April. Anyway, I'm sorry to hear that about your grandfather, and I hope that he does get the care he needs to ease his dying.

 
At 7:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My grandmother was in the same situation, and I had the same reaction -- "If this were my cat, I'd have her killed."

Which is, again, brutal but true. Our culture of death is a mess.

In any case, may it all be the best it can be.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home