.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

in the hoosegow

Monday, May 09, 2005

rollicking romp

You may recall the brief time when Lady Killers was in the theatre, or you may not. For some reason it was not only not a commercial success, I didn't hear anything good about it from Cohen Brothers fans. This weekend I finally got around to watching it on video and was very pleasantly surprised.

The cast is excellent, characters funny and quirky and the storyline, well, it's a tried and true storyline but hilarious nonetheless. It's great to see Tom Hanks in the role as the professor. I haven't seen any of his movies for many years now. In fact, the last thing I remember seeing him in was Big. No wait, I did see Philadelphia, probably the last decent film he made, right? Anyway, in Lady Killers he's one of those guys you love to hate, putting on this ridiculously over the top persona that could only be found in the deep south.

Really, I loved all of the characters, from the church ladies to Mountain Girl to the Sheriff. There's also a killer (no pun intended) soundtrack. I won't give away any of the plot, except to leave you with this one bit of dialogue:

Professor: General, you're a Buddhist. Isn't there a ... middle way?

General: You must float like a leaf on a river. And Kill Old Lady.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home