.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

in the hoosegow

Tuesday, June 14, 2005

more bookishness

Man, I realize how hard it is to limit myself to five. For example, one of the authors I'd have a hard time living without is Carson McCullers, but if I have to choose a book, would it be The Heart is a Lonely Hunter, The Ballad of the Sad Cafe, or Member of the Wedding? I am not sure I could choose. Therefore, I give you 5 authors and up to 3 titles per author:

1. See above.
2. John Irving. Hotel New Hampshire or The World According to Garp.
3. Laurie King. Beekeeper's Apprentice or Folly. Although...each of the Mary Russell series keeps on getting better, so the exact book could change.
4. Isabel Allende. Eva Luna or The Infinite Plan or House of Spirits.
5. Ralph Ellison's The Invisible Man, although this book is forever bound in my mind to Dick Gregory's Black Like Me. In fact, there's got to be a direct link between my admiration of DG and my love for Dave Chapelle. Gotta be.

Dang, that's me just getting started. Feel free to give shout-outs to your favorites.

4 Comments:

At 2:43 PM, Blogger Jane said...

I was also thinking:
To Kill A Mockingbird
Their Eyes were watching God
Song of Solomon

Fannery O'Conner
Walt Whitman
Barbara Kingsolver

Ok, I am stopping now. I could go on for days.

 
At 3:07 PM, Blogger Pixie the dog said...

To Kill a Mockingbird, for sure.

 
At 9:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Animal Dreams, Kingsolver.

 
At 6:37 AM, Blogger Pixie the dog said...

That's the same author as the Poisonwood Bible, right? I couldn't finish that one, so I've shied away from her other stuff.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home