.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

in the hoosegow

Tuesday, May 10, 2005

espanole

My spanish class was very small last night. For some reason this was the week that everyone was busy and decided to go to the Thursday class instead. That left me, a few dudes, a girl from the Thursday class and the teacher. I realized that for some reason most of the folks in the class know my name but I didn't know theirs without a reminder. I also realized that my jokey nature was overtaking my language class shyness and I shouted out some one-liners to the crowd. At one point la profesora was exhorting the class to ask questions like we meant it, not like we were making statements. One of the guys said, "Deseas bailar." instead of "?Deseas bailar?" and I said to the girl next to me, "but that's probably how he'd say it anyway." Because, you know, guys assume you're just dying to dance with them and they don't need to ask.

Hmm, that appears to be a good example of how jokes do NOT translate away from the original situation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home